Thursday, January 13, 2011

LAX, Auckland, McGregor's Bay

LAX
First, it was so great to see Erin, my former roomate and friend since freshman year, at the airport! We had a quick catch up as she waited in line with me before security. This was after I took the wrong bus after landing from Seattle, and ended up at a parking lot rather than the International Terminal...

Quick thoughts as I wait for my flight to Fiji:
Wow. Getting out of Seattle was a peaceful whirlwind but, came up on me quickly! Even as I waitied for security, it didn’t quite seem as if I were leaving yet. Fortunately I said goodbye to a number of people over the past week and weekend although I neglected proper sleep and trip preparation; I’m planning to sleep a lot on the plane! I had my last day of work as a barista at Urban Bakery on Tuesday morning after a series of nights out. That afternoon I spent with Matt, before finally reaching home in order to START packing. I knew generally what I wanted to bring, but it was just a matter of spending the time (which I hadn’t previously had) in order to do it. Come Monday morning, a few errands, seeing Autumn, and delivering pictures, my mom and I were en route to the airport! As excited as I am, it’s always hard to leave and as much as I think I’m “ok,” it always amazes me how emotional I am come actually leaving.

To those of you who I saw, thank you; to those I didn’t, well I’m going to miss you anyway too :)!

Here’s to nearly a full day of travel including layovers… Fortunately, I will be meeting my Uncle George’s good friend from growing up as I arrive in Auckland!

AUCKLAND
After what totalled 23 hours of travel (layovers included), I just arrived in Auckland! I made it by shuttle to my Uncle George's long time friend Mike's work where we then stopped by his house where I met his daughter Peggy, showered, visted the sheep and lambs, picked some peas, beans, and corn, and I am now on the computer before heading up to the bach ( beach house ) as there will not be internet up there. Return date: TBD; before Friday.. It's sunny, warm, and I am loving the change of scenery already :)

McGREGOR'S BAY
A two and a half hour drive north through Whangarei took Mike and I to the McGregor’s bach to meet up with his wife Claire and an assortment of her family. The first couple of days the weather was beautiful and my days were characterized by fishing, reading “The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest,” laying in the sun, swimming, going to Ocean’s Beach, jumping in the waves, walking around, and enjoying lots of great food and company! As the weekend concluded, and nothing urgent bringing me to Auckland until Friday (when I meet up with the Pacific Challenge), I decided to stay at the bach to continue my leisurely start to my time in New Zealand. The following couple of days were overcast with a slight shower, although the weather stayed warm. I read another book, only to finally look at my syllabus and realize that I should have read two before the trip started. I'll start that now... I hiked Mt. Manaia in the morning with it only to clear up right as Julie and I were coming down. After walking around Smuggler's Cove with those of us remaining at the bach, I will finish up some reading and plan to do Mt. Manaia tomorrow to see the wonderful 360degree views I have been hearing all about. I am planning on bussing back to Albany unless we find someone heading south tomorrow!

There was a panic mishap with the PC but I believe it's all sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment