Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mountains, Rainforests, and Beaches

Blue Mountains
The three and half hour drive or so was broken up by a stop at a cable park where people knee or wakeboarded. There was also a sweet trampoline that reminded me of a tumble track and I did some tumble passes on it! Getting to the lodge where we were staying, we headed out for dinner and then also some of us went out to see Hall Pass- so funny! The following morning we had classes with Dave and then headed out to the mountains for some climbing after stopping in town for lunch and internet. There were a few pitch climbs, all relatively easy, although I did do a bit of an overhang/arĂȘte that proved a little difficult because I haven’t climbed at all recently. Afterwards we went to a local restaurant that specialized in homemade pies and then went back, made a fire and went to bed.

Warrumbungles

A six hour drive took us to a small town where we had lunch and picked up groceries for our night of camping. Once we arrived, there wasn’t much to do but a few of us went on a bush walk in search of a koala as kangaroos and cockatoos had already been quite numerous. After dinner, we had lamington as dessert for Jordan’s birthday and watched Dark Night, although missed the last half an hour because the two computers we had to use to watch it, died.

Cascade

A seven or so hour drive took us to an environmental education center in Cascade, where I had my first experience with a land leech attaching itself to my ankle. We ate dinner and watched Ferngully, a movie that I remember loving as a child. The following morning we had Geoffrey take us on a walk through the rainforest after a brief introduction to the flora, fauna, and history of the area to an area known as Platypus Falls, unfortunately it was midday and they were not visable. We had a “contest” to see who had the most, and the biggest leech by the end. I somehow managed to win the category for the largest leech. It was the most disgusting thing, particularly when we took it off, and then it exploded with blood. Uck! The following day, we had a low key day of studying, and a walk to Platypus Flats. There was also a rather dodgy rope swing we played on as well as swimming across the river.

Coff Harbour

En route the Byron Bay, we stopped along the coast for surf lessons and to do some raft surfing. It was a blast! I am not the greatest and getting myself set up quick enough for a wave I spot, but I’m definitely getting the hang of it. I love it! A few people from the group are planning in staying in Sydney a bit after the trip and the plan is to be surf bums, so I’m sure I’ll improve a bunch. I was easily standing up, got pulled aside and given a personal tutorial on turning. RADICAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment